Monday 12 March 2012

Quilts to last generations



If you read my trend report, you already know that patchwork is in. We find it on textiles, rugs, and... of course our beloved quilts. No wonder; it’s a great way to introduce colour, softness and pattern to a room! With today's many modern, cheerful designs and colour combinations, quilts have a natural space in all kinds of environments. Yours too!

My friend, designer Marika Jonson, has been making contemporary quilts for many years. I chatted with her about her approach to the quilting process:

Q: Marika, where do you draw inspiration from and what determines what your quilts will look like?

A: The environment where the quilt is going is important and also who I am creating for. I always take my client’s preferences of size and colours into consideration, and the tactility in their home. While I sew, I spend hours thinking about the client and incorporating good-luck wishes throughout the project.

Q: You also strive to have the personality of the owner represented in the quilts. How do you achieve that?
A: I always ask the client for a pile of used fabric that has belonged to their family for a long time. I also dive into my own abundance of fabric. Sorting through the piles gives me clues to combinations and contrast that I think reflect the personality of the owner.
Q: What are the next steps?
A: Next, I create a sketch where I decide on format and complexity of the pattern, which in turn leads to arranging fabrics in piles ready to be ironed and cut. I need lots of floor space when I sew and the possibility to leave things as is. That way the inspiration stays with me, from start to finish. 

Q: What should we think about when we buy a quilt?

A: Quality! That's it, it should last for generations. The rest is up to your liking. Do you want an embellished one? Full of contrast or subtle? You decide. 

Speaking of embellished, a selection of Marika's quilts fills this posting, along with three local quilts (bottom) from Three Gables Studio in North Bay.  A feast in colour and creativity!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.